Within the water sector, Data-as-a-Service (DaaS) is an emerging, innovative business model applied to both water and wastewater operations with utilities outsourcing the operation and maintenance of different core services to outside private companies.
The concept of “servitization” is well-proven in the manufacturing sector and to begin the Workshop, we heard a keynote presentation from Tim Baines, the leading international authority on servitization. The Workshop also featured a global panel with diverse DaaS case studies, as well as interactive roundtable sessions based on design thinking principles.
Scroll down to view presentations.
- Meena Sankaran, Founder & CEO (KETOS)
Virtual Keynote: Servitization: Strategy, Business Models and Decision-Making
- Tim Baines, Professor of Operations Strategy & Executive Director (Aston University/Advanced Services Group)
Applying DaaS within Water: Real-Life Case Studies
Moderator: Amir Cahn, Executive Director (SWAN Forum)
- Joana Cassidy, Water Engineer (AGS, Portugal)
- Bob Flaherty, Director, North America (Trimble Utilities)
- Stephane Gervais, EVP Strategic Innovation, Partnership & Smart Data (LACROIX Group)
DaaS Workshop Final Prototypes
At the conclusion of the DaaS Workshop, there was a fun shark tank where representatives from each table pitched their prototype and even performed role playing skits. The final prototypes included an “ice cream model,” a Lego design, a decision-star with key metrics, a “Game of Flows” decision support tool, an artistic representation of different data management outcomes, and an actual, functioninal mobile app created in less than an hour.
Design Thinking Exercise Facilitators
- GianLuca Rolandelli, Global Product Manager – Smart Water Solutions (ABB) and Reid Campbell, Director, Engineering & Technology Services (Halifax Water, Canada)
- Joana Cassidy, Water Engineer (AGS, Portugal) and Amir Cahn, Executive Director (SWAN Forum)
- Danie Kotzé, Managing Executive: SAMS (Mezzanine) and Neil Tumber, Relationship Manager (The Advanced Services Group)
- Fionn Boyle, Program Manager (Anglian Water Services, UK)
- Tertius Rust, Head of AMI and Digital Transformation (City of Cape Town, South Africa)
- Steen Jakobsen, Business Architect (VCS Denmark)
- Patrick McGowan, CEO & Founder (The Service Design Group)